Longhorn Way Parent Edition No. 28
Surveys: Last week, I asked parents to take our MRA (Spring Parent Leader in Me Survey to complete by Friday, March 15, 2019). This week I am asking for permission to survey your child for the same purpose. This is to provide us with a clear evidence of our character education process. This will help us learn, grow and improve current practices.
Student Participation: If your child decides to participate, he/she will be asked to complete a 20-minute multiple-choice assessment (no identifying information will be requested or collected) that will be confidentially administered by a classroom teacher or counselor who has received clear guidelines on survey administration and confidentiality practices. Students will privately answer questions about their attitudes and behaviors on their own time using their Chromebook. They will be able to skip questions and stop at anytime they choose. Students will receive the link via their google email on March 25th during LEAD Time. Results will be summarized by grade level and available to the leadership of our school through a password protected, data-encrypted website. Some group-level results from the MRA (measurable results assessment) may be shared at public meetings like the monthly PTO meeting or with stakeholders like district administrators or community groups that support our school.
If you DO NOT want your child to participate in the survey, please complete the MRA Opt Out Form, sign it, and return it to the front office by March 25th at the start of school. If you do not want your child to take the survey, we will not send the link to them. Your decision to deny permission will not in any way influence your child’s grades or your relationship with any member of our school. If you have any questions about the surveys or wish to see a list of potential questions, please contact me via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 314.415.7401.
Math Placement Information-Today you should have received an email from Stephanie Valli, Middle School STEM Coordinator, regarding math placement for next year. Parkway is working to honor parents input on placement. Please review the recommended placement. If you feel you need to override our recommendation please fill out the google form in the email. Please tend to this information in the next by March 25th, as it is vital that we have the placement for staffing and scheduling purposes. Grades 7 to 8 will follow their normal progression unless you have discuss another option with your students math teacher.
Thank you for conference dinners….Ellie Davis and her crew: Gretchen Bertz, MaryEllen Franciscus, Stacy Neaser, Anne Branch, Lara Vitiello, and Padma Mannem and all those parents that donated food.
- Mr. Carmi's LEAD group is hosting a staff vs student basketball game on Friday, March 15, 2019. Canned food donations are accepted. The food will be donated to the Parkway Food Pantry. Any food is accepted. The preferred donations from West area schools are nut butters, canned tuna, canned chicken, canned beans and canned ham.
- Mrs. Burks' LEAD group is collecting lids and bottle caps to donate to elementary schools for a chair building program.
- Mr. Hasler's LEAD group will be picking up trash in the hallways each LEAD time.
Nurse’s Office Changes: To date this year, we have had over 7,000 student visit the nurse office, it is a busy place. We are going to make some changes in expectations for teachers when determining to send students to the nurse office. We realize that students do need to see the nurse, but it can also be and avoidance tactic.
Please talk with you student about accessing the nurses office for the appropriate reasons. We are also creating some self care stations outside of the counselor’s office. Our Student Lighthouse Team is working on the items that will be available to students to care for needs such as, band-aids, Vaseline for chapped lips, hair ties, tissue and female products.
Lastly, it is important that students eat a well balances breakfast that can sustain them until lunch. Thanks for your help with this matter.
Mark Your Calendar
Monday, March 11
- 7th & 8th Grade Choir Large Group Festival 12:45 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. @ Lindbergh High School
Tuesday, March 12
- All District Orchestra Dress Rehearsal 8:45 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. @ St. Charles Family Arena
- 6th Grade Choir Large Group Festival 9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. @ Lindbergh High School
- All District Orchestra Concert 7:30 p.m. @ St. Charles Family Arena
Wednesday, March 13
- Board of Education Meeting 7:00 p.m. @ Central Middle
Friday, March 15
- Staff vs Student Basketball Game (Mr. Carmi's LEAD Group)
Monday, March 18 - Friday, March 22
- Spring Break - No Classes