- Central High
High school return to school plan
10/15/2020 -- The below letter was sent to high school families today from Superintendent Keith Marty.
Dear High School Families,
As you know, last week the Board of Education approved a plan for high schools to return during the second quarter. Today, we have updated high school plans to share including calendars and second quarter schedules for all high school students.
- Virtual Campus 9-12: Families who have chosen Virtual Campus in grades 9-12 will begin the second quarter online with their new schedule and teachers on November 4.
- In-Person 9-12: Students attending in person will begin the second quarter online on November 4 and return to school on a part-time blended schedule starting Tuesday, November 10. This calendar outlines the return to in-person learning and transition to the second quarter.
- As soon as we can safely return to full capacity in our high schools, we will transition to a full-time schedule. Our goal is to do this during the second quarter.
- We need to monitor the health of students and staff in our schools and new safety precautions at school to ensure they are effective before returning full time at full capacity in our high schools.
- We will let you know as soon as possible and at least a week in advance before moving to a full-time schedule.
- These plans are similar to most public high schools in the St. Louis region and consistent with guidance from the health department to gradually phase students back to school.
Finals moved to October 29 and 30: Given the pace of the first quarter and four courses, we want to ensure students have more time to prepare for final exams and give our schools enough time to prepare for students to return. Therefore, finals for all students will be moved back one week to October 29-30, pending board approval, and the second quarter will begin on November 4 for all high school students.
When will the school day start for high school students learning in-person and virtual?
The high school day will begin at 7:35 am and end at 2:25 pm and will be the same for students choosing Virtual Campus and In-Person. You can see the detailed school day schedule for the second quarter here.
What does the high school transition calendar look like for in-person learning?
We have outlined a calendar here for the return to school on a blended part-time schedule.
Why are we using a transition period with a blended schedule?
Our students have not been in school since March and we want to ensure a safe and successful return. We know students will need time to adjust, including new routines and schedules. This provides opportunities for students to learn and practice new health precautions at school like wearing a mask all day. Most importantly, the transition time allows us to continue to monitor health conditions during our re-entry and any changes in health trends for high school age students before returning to full capacity.
What days will my child attend school during the transition?
Students will attend school part-time in two groups. You can see the calendar here. We will share your group assignments next week and the dates your child(ren) will attend.
We know you have additional questions and you can learn more here. Your high school will share more information and if you have questions specific to your child, you can reach out to your school.
Thank you again for your ongoing support, grace and patience. We have missed having our students in school more than you may know, so we are excited and looking forward to a safe and successful return to school while continuing to equally support our virtual learners at home.