Important update for Parkway Staff
July 1, 2020
Dear Parkway Staff,
We want to thank you again for your incredible efforts during this past school year. We couldn’t be more proud of our teachers and staff!
As you can imagine, it is difficult to make concrete plans due to the uncertainty of the pandemic and how it might impact us this school year. So we are prepared for a variety of scenarios if needed. Our Reentry Task Force has been studying the various federal, state and local guidelines and is finalizing learning plans, schedules and health precautions for re-opening in August.
As a reminder, on July 20, Parkway will share comprehensive plans with all parents and staff, which will include the schedule for a return to school in August. Staff will receive additional information ahead of that announcement and once that information is available staff will be surveyed about their preference for teaching virtually.
In order to bring students and staff back to school, we must be cautious and careful. When you return, you will see many new health and safety precautions in our schools and classrooms which include:
- New signage to remind everyone of social distancing guidelines;
- Hand hygiene protocols, including scheduled times for students and staff to wash their hands throughout the day;
- Health screening questionnaires for staff;
- Limiting of nonessential visitors, volunteers, and activities involving outside groups;
- Cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces several times throughout the day. High-touch areas include tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, toilets, faucets and sinks;
- Limitations on large in-person meetings and events; and
- Wearing of masks at school, district offices and buildings. Staff and students will wear a cloth face covering unless unable due to a medical condition, social-emotional needs and/or if the health risk to an individual of wearing a mask outweighs the benefits. More details will be shared in the coming weeks with staff and parents on wearing masks at school and work.
Staff members who have a concern should speak with their school administrator and the Human Resources Department to discuss potential accommodations. Special School District staff should speak with their area coordinator or supervisor about any concerns or needs.
As we finalize these plans, we are requesting that you contact us if you anticipate you may not be able to return to work in the fall. Please notify the Human Resources Department no later than Friday, July 10, 2020, by emailing Brenda Mullen at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 314-415-8015. This information will assist us with contingency plans for staffing all positions and allow accurate staffing for student schedules, classroom assignments, etc. Special educators should contact Special School District if needed about a return to work.
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) requires certain employers to provide their employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. These provisions will apply from April 1, 2020, through December 31, 2020. Please click here for Employee Rights information related to FFCRA. Please contact Ms. Mullen if you have any questions about your rights under the FFCRA.
We are looking forward to welcoming each and every one of you back to school in August and having our staff and students together once again on our vibrant school campuses.
Dr. Michael Baugus
Chief Human Resources Officer