Problem Solution assignment
College Prep Composition: Problem / Solution Essay
For this assignment, you will choose a problem you see at school, in the local community or in the nation. After analyzing the issues surrounding the problem you will propose a solution.
Be sure your paper includes the essential elements of a proposal
- Introduce the problem
- Consider possible causes.
- Identify groups affected.
- Propose a solution
- Be sure to outline specific details about the solution.
- Explain how the solution will impact specific concerns about the problem.
- Consider how the solution will impact all groups concerned.
- Argue Directly for the solution
- Support your position with evidence (Facts, Examples, Explanations, Descriptions, Definitions, Comparisons, Anecdotes, Testimonials, and Statistics).
- Use a variety of modes for evidence (text, pictures, charts/graphs, video links, etc.)
- You must include evidence from at least five different sources.
- Counter argue Objections, Questions, and other Solutions
- Respond to objections (Refute, Concede, or Qualify).
- How will the solution surpass other options?
- Establish Credibility
- You may use personal experience and first person “I” in this essay.
- Use reliable sources.
You are also required to use correct MLA format for citing your sources.
- Works Cited page
- In-text citations
- Five sources minimum
Your essay should be 5 - 7 typed pages long (not including the Works Cited page).
Your paper will be graded using the following criteria:
- The clarity of your description of the problem and the detailed explanation of your solution
- The logic of your organization
- The clear argumentation of your reasons
- The validity and strength of your supporting evidence
- The fair representation and evaluation of the opposing arguments
- The credibility of your outside sources
- The proper use of MLA parenthetical documentation and an accurate Works Cited page
- Accuracy of grammar, spelling, mechanics, and sentence structure
Papers must be submitted to turnitin.com.
2/26 Logical Fallacies
“A Solution to Hackers”
2/28 Begin annotated bibliography
3/3 “Wheelchair Hell”
Work on research
3/5 ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY DUE
3/9 PMI (Plus, Minus, Interesting - evaluation)
3/11 DRAFT OF PROBLEM DUE - TWO PAGES MINIMUM
3/13 SOLUTION PROPOSAL DUE
3/24 Draft Day
3/26 DRAFT DUE FOR PEER EDITS
3/30 PEER EDITS DUE
4/1 FINAL PAPER DUE