Parents as Teachers
Parents as Teachers is a home visiting program offered at no charge for Parkway residents. Parents as Teachers promotes optimal early development, learning and health of children by supporting and engaging their parents and caregivers. It is designed to help you as a parent help your child learn, grow and develop to realize his/her full potential. Our program is comprised of four components:
- PERSONAL FAMILY VISITS - A certified parent educator will bring an age-appropriate activity for you and your child to play together. You will partner with your Parent Educator in observing your child’s play and development. Book sharing and supporting early literacy are an important component of the personal visit.
- GROUP CONNECTIONS - We offer Family Activity sessions and Just For Parents sessions at no charge. Upcoming sessions are listed below.
- DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENINGS - Screening provides an opportunity for you to see how your child is developing and meeting developmental milestones. Resources are available if a delay is identified. We offer screenings for all children 6 months to 36 months during a personal visit, that includes development, health, hearing and vision. For children ages 3-5, a play-based screening is offered at the Early Childhood Center.
- RESOURCE NETWORK - We offer a Parent Book Lending library and a Toy Lending Library available for checkout at the Early Childhood Center. Resources in the community are available for supporting and enriching families.
*To enroll in Parents as Teachers call (314) 415-6973 or start the process to enroll online. A representative will call you to complete enrollment.
A Parkway Parent Educator is….
- a Parkway School District employee
- degreed in early childhood education, social work, family development or related field
- a professional certified from the National Parents as Teachers Center
- a partner who will support your child’s healthy growth and development and parenting practices
Come Play With Me!
Wednesday, February 19, 2020
9:30 am - 11:00 am
Come to the Early Childhood Center and experience art, sensory, music, movement, motor and MORE! Children learn through play, especially while interacting with their loved ones. This session is for children Birth - 24 months. Click here for registration.
Dive Into STEM
Thursday, February 27, 2020
5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Children are naturally curious!Dive Into STEM (Science Engineering Technology Math) provides fun opportunities to nurture your child's sense of wonder and curiosity. Ou and your child can investigate, explore, problem solve, create & experiment as you build with blocks, explore with ramps, create sculptures, use tools to measure and more fun activities.Birth - 5 years old. Click here for registration.
New Parents Meet, Share and Play
Wednesday, March 4, 2020
9:30 am - 11:00 am
This special time is designed to support parents, provide knowledge sharing and social interaction for new parents and baby! Lead by a Parkway Parents as Teachers Parent Educator. For safety reasons, this session is limited to parents and babies 0-12 months only. Click here for registration.
Every Child Ready to Read
Thursday, April 9, 2020
9:30 - 10:30 am
Becoming a great reader begins at birth. St. Louis County Library helps parents instill good reading skills and a love of reading in their children, no matter how young. Join us for stories, songs and play-time to help develop early literacy skills. Birth - 36 months. Click here for registration.
The People in My Neighborhood
Saturday, May 2, 2020
10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Explore real vehicles! ● Firetruck, police car, mail truck, etc. ● Take a school bus ride. ● Enjoy transportation related activities and games. ● Rain or Shine! Click here for registration.
JUST FOR PARENTS SESSIONS
Are We There Yet?
Tuesday, February 25, 2020
6:30-8:00 PM - ADULTS ONLY
Dreading that long trip to Grandma’s? Does an hour in the car seem like ten? Why not use this time to have some family fun? Come and get some great ideas for keeping your little ones content as you travel. This session is presented by Rockwood Parents as Teachers at Clarkson Valley Early Childhood 2730 Valley Road MO 63005 Click here to register. https://forms.gle/nVwgmv5KZMDVXogB6
Low Tech Parenting in a High Tech World
Tuesday, April 7, 2020
6:30 - 8:00 pm - ADULTS ONLY
Technology is part of everyone’s lives, even our youngest learners. As parents, we struggle to keep up with the latest information about the best practices for our children. Join us as we examine the impact early tech use has on development and how you can parent to prepare your child for today’s world.
This presentation includes what is known about early learning and how technology can be used in healthy and effective ways within your family. We hope you leave with a healthy media plan for your family and some ideas of what to look for in educational technology. Click here for registration.
Baby Teeth 101 & Early Dental Care
Tuesday, April 14
6:30-7:30 PM - ADULTS ONLY
Did you know dental caries (cavities) are the #1 childhood disease? It also is almost 100% preventable. Dentists can’t prevent the disease alone. With the help of pediatricians, educators and parents, we can attack this as a team. This is your opportunity to ask those dental questions while also learning how smiles grow up
Presented by Dr. Emily Hahn, DDS This session is presented by Rockwood Parents as Teachers at Clarkson Valley Early Childhood 2730 Valley Road MO 63005 Click here to register.
Registration is required for all activities
Please mark your calendars! All events are staffed according to registration.
Sessions are held at the Early Childhood Center
14605 Clayton Road
Ballwin, MO 63011