Parents as Teachers
Parents as Teachers is a home visiting program offered at no charge for Parkway residents. Parents as Teachers promotes optimal early development, learning and health of children by supporting and engaging their parents and caregivers. It is designed to help you as a parent help your child learn, grow and develop to realize his/her full potential. Our program is comprised of four components:
1. PERSONAL FAMILY VISITS - A certified parent educator will bring an age-appropriate activity for you and your child to play together. You will partner with your Parent Educator in observing your child’s play and development. Book sharing and supporting early literacy are an important component of the personal visit.
2. GROUP CONNECTIONS - We offer Family Activity sessions and Just For Parents sessions at no charge. Upcoming sessions are listed below.
3. DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENINGS - Screening provides an opportunity for you to see how your child is developing and meeting developmental milestones. Resources are available if a delay is identified. We offer screenings for all children 6 months to 36 months during a personal visit, that includes development, health, hearing and vision. For children ages 3-5, a play-based screening is offered at the Early Childhood Center.
4. RESOURCE NETWORK - We offer a Parent Book Lending library and a Toy Lending Library available for checkout at the Early Childhood Center. Resources in the community are available for supporting and enriching families.
*To enroll in Parents as Teachers call (314) 415-6973 or start the process to enroll online. A representative will call you to complete enrollment.
A Parkway Parent Educator is….
- a Parkway School District employee
- degreed in early childhood education, social work, family development or related field
- a professional certified from the National Parents as Teachers Center
- a partner who will support your child’s healthy growth and development and parenting practices
GROUP CONNECTIONSBehavior BootcampParents & Adults PAT Group ConnectionWednesday, April 21, 6:00 pm via ZOOMAre you getting into power struggles with your child?Join Behavior Boot Camp to learn effective ways to set limitswhen your child just won't listen. This is an interactive presentationthat allows families to apply strategies to real-life home situations.Presented by Maria Lindsey, Student Support Facilitator.I-Spy Drive-Thru ParadeMay 15 | 10:00 am- Noon by appointmentParkway Early Childhood Center14605 Clayton RdFamilies enrolled in the Parkway Parents as Teachers program are invited to join us for an interactive Drive-Thru experience.
- Wave "Hi" to your Parent Educator from your car!
- "Summer Ideas" bag given to each family.
- Map, Directions & I-Spy sheet will be emailed the week before the event.