Parents as Teachers
Parents as Teachers is a home visiting program offered at no charge for Parkway residents. Parents as Teachers promotes optimal early development, learning and health of children by supporting and engaging their parents and caregivers. It is designed to help you as a parent help your child learn, grow and develop to realize his/her full potential. Our program is comprised of four components:
- PERSONAL FAMILY VISITS - A certified parent educator will bring an age-appropriate activity for you and your child to play together. You will partner with your Parent Educator in observing your child’s play and development. Book sharing and supporting early literacy are an important component of the personal visit.
- GROUP CONNECTIONS - We offer Family Activity sessions and Just For Parents sessions at no charge. Upcoming sessions are listed below.
- DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENINGS - Screening provides an opportunity for you to see how your child is developing and meeting developmental milestones. Resources are available if a delay is identified. We offer screenings for all children 6 months to 36 months during a personal visit, that includes development, health, hearing and vision. For children ages 3-5, a play-based screening is offered at the Early Childhood Center.
- RESOURCE NETWORK - We offer a Parent Book Lending library and a Toy Lending Library available for checkout at the Early Childhood Center. Resources in the community are available for supporting and enriching families.
*To enroll in Parents as Teachers call (314) 415-6973 or start the process to enroll online. A representative will call you to complete enrollment.
A Parkway Parent Educator is….
- a Parkway School District employee
- degreed in early childhood education, social work, family development or related field
- a professional certified from the National Parents as Teachers Center
- a partner who will support your child’s healthy growth and development and parenting practices
Tuesday, October 8, 2019
9:30 am - 11:00 am
Panda Playtime is for you and your child (ren) ages birth - 36 months. This is a great time for your child to learn and develop social skills while playing with others. We will set up the fun and the children can decide how to play. Stay for as long as you choose. For safely concerns, enrollment is limited. Click here for registration.
Visit Your Elementary School
Wednesday, October 25, 2019
9:30 am - 10:30 am
This is a great opportunity for parents & children to learn more about their Parkway Elementary school. The activities for the children will help them become acquainted with their new school. Parent Educators will be present to greet you and your child. You will be able to tour the school and learn more about it, meet the principal and staff, and meet other parents and children attending the school. Click here for registration.
Tuesday, October 29, 2019
5:30 pm -7:30 pm
Not too spooky fun for little ones...games, music, stories and songs. Wear your costume and Trick or Treat in the PECC commons. This event has a charge of $5.00 per family for materials and supplies. Registration required. Click here for registration.
New Parents Meet, Share and Play
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
9:30 am 11:00 am
This session is designed to support parents, provide knowledge sharing and social interaction for new parents and baby! Led by a Parkway Parents as Teachers Parent Educator. Click here for registration.
Every Child Ready to Read
Monday, December 2, 2019
9:30 am - 11:00 am
Becoming a great reader begins at birth. St. Louis County Library helps parents instill good reading skills and a love of reading in their children, no matter how young. Join us for stories, songs and play time to help develop early literacy skills. Click here for registration.
JUST FOR PARENTS SESSIONS
Mindful Parenting Session
Wednesday, October 2, 2019
6:30 - 8:00 pm - ADULTS ONLY
Do you want your children to increase their sense of calm? decrease their stress and anxiety? learn better focus and concentration? improve their capacity for empathy and compassion? learn to regulate their emotions? improve their impulse control? If so, you and your children will benefit from our Mindful Parenting Class. This parents-only class is designed to increase your understanding of mindfulness in early childhood. You will learn the benefits of practicing mindfulness and strategies for integrating mindful awareness into your daily activities. Registration required.
The Fourth Trimester
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm - ADULTS ONLY
Come and share in a discussion about the Fourth Trimester (giving birth and the first few months afterward) presented by Dr. Kristen Bruno, Pediatrician. Dr. Bruno will share insight and tips about your recovery, infant care, breastfeeding and more. Come with any questions you may have. This session is offered by Rockwood Parents as Teachers in partnership with Parkway Parents as Teachers. LOCATION: Ballwin Elementary Library, 400 Jefferson Avenue, Ballwin, MO 63021.
Toilet Learning: Paving the Way for Success
Wednesday, November 6, 2019
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Feeling successful with toilet learning is an empowering experience for a child as he or she becomes more independent. Learn about approaching this task in a way that focuses on a joyful sense of autonomy and no more diapers! Learn signs of readiness, helpful tips and share ways to create a supportive environment. You won't want to miss this session! Presented by Laura DeWoskin, Parent Educator. Click here to register.
Behavior Boot Camp
Tuesday, November 19, 2019
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm - ADULTS ONLY
Presented by Parkway Early Childhood Center Counselors. Click here to register.
Registration is required for all activities
Please mark your calendars! All events are staffed according to registration.
Sessions are held at the Early Childhood Center
14605 Clayton Road
Ballwin, MO 63011