Parents as Teachers
Parents as Teachers is a home visiting program offered at no charge for Parkway residents. Parents as Teachers promotes optimal early development, learning and health of children by supporting and engaging their parents and caregivers. It is designed to help you as a parent help your child learn, grow and develop to realize his/her full potential. Our program is comprised of four components:
- PERSONAL FAMILY VISITS - A certified parent educator will bring an age-appropriate activity for you and your child to play together. You will partner with your Parent Educator in observing your child’s play and development. Book sharing and supporting early literacy are an important component of the personal visit.
- GROUP CONNECTIONS - We offer Family Activity sessions and Just For Parents sessions at no charge. Upcoming sessions are listed below.
- DEVELOPMENTAL SCREENINGS - Screening provides an opportunity for you to see how your child is developing and meeting developmental milestones. Resources are available if a delay is identified. We offer screenings for all children 6 months to 36 months during a personal visit, that includes development, health, hearing and vision. For children ages 3-5, a play-based screening is offered at the Early Childhood Center.
- RESOURCE NETWORK - We offer a Parent Book Lending library and a Toy Lending Library available for checkout at the Early Childhood Center. Resources in the community are available for supporting and enriching families.
*To enroll in Parents as Teachers call (314) 415-6973 or start the process to enroll online. A representative will call you to complete enrollment.
A Parkway Parent Educator is….
- a Parkway School District employee
- degreed in early childhood education, social work, family development or related field
- a professional certified from the National Parents as Teachers Center
- a partner who will support your child’s healthy growth and development and parenting practices
GROUP CONNECTIONSPreschool On ParadeAdultsTuesday, February 2, 6:00 pm via ZOOMAre you considering a Parkway Preschool program for 2021-2022?This session gives an overview of the Parkway full-day & half-day preschool programs for children 3, 4 & 5 by Aug 1.Preschool philosophy & curriculum is shared. Learn how the Parkway Preschool program providesa connection between Parents As Teachers & Parkway Kindergarten.
Songs, Stories & SilliesChildren Ages Birth-5 & AdultsWednesday, February 17, 10:00 am via ZOOM
- Recognized as a "National School of Character"
- New & Expanded Outdoor Learning Spaces
- 7 Locations in the Parkway School District
- Teachers are Degreed & Certified
- Project Construct Curriculum approved by the Department of Elementary & Secondary Education.
Join Ms. Amanda and Ms. Julie for fun, interactive songs, stories and sillies.
You and your child can “shake out your sillies” to some classics and learn new moves too!
Repetition of rhymes & stories is good for the brain, teaching how language works and building memory capabilities.
Dancing is a great way to encourage gross-motor development.
Interacting & playing with your child support their social-emotional development.Toilet Learning: Paving the Way for SuccessAdults Only PAT Group ConnectionWednesday, April 7, 6:30 pm via ZOOMJoin us as Parkway Parent Educator Laura DeWoskin walks parents throughthe signs of readiness, offers helpful tips and ways to create a supportive environment.