The final plan
4/19/2018 -- The below email was sent to all Parkway families from Superintendent Dr. Keith Marty.
Dear Parkway families and staff,
Thank you to everyone who joined us for the Project Parkway community meeting this week. At the meeting, we shared our final list of proposed projects for a no-tax-increase bond proposal in November. This proposal would support ongoing maintenance, renovation and repair projects in our schools.
After listening to your feedback, we have included more safety and security improvements in our proposal. See the final list of projects by school and a summary for a no-tax-increase bond proposal here.
I wanted to highlight some of these new opportunities for security improvements. Based on recent conversations, and what we heard from you regarding safety and security, we are proposing the following:
- The previous proposal included new double door security vestibule entrances for all high schools. In response to your feedback, we will add vestibules at the entrances of all schools (the elementary school vestibules will be built using operating funds);
- We will double the number of security cameras at our elementary schools;
- We will close the open-concept classrooms at Bellerive, Hanna Woods and Wren Hollow by extending the walls all the way to the ceiling. This will enhance lockdown security and also improve classroom instruction by dividing classroom spaces (currently multiple classrooms are in the same pod or area);
- We will implement an enhanced visitor management system at our school entrances. This will allow us to ask for identification and then issue visitor badges after we run a check of the sex offender registry. As part of this project, we would also create more consistent visitor management procedures for all schools that balances safety with convenience for visitors; and
- We will add more safety film (intruder-resistant) to secondary doors and windows near entrances to all schools. We currently have safety film on the main entry doors only. This would add additional protection.
We hope you will continue to provide us feedback, as we are always looking for ways to improve, enhance and provide better safeguards to keep our students and staff safe.
I am holding meetings with parents on the following dates and times and one topic will include safety and security updates. At these informal meetings, I will share district updates and we will have lots of time for conversation. You are welcome to join me at one of the following meetings (even if it is not in your area of the district).
South area: April 24, 6:30 - 8 p.m., Southwest Middle
Central/West area: April 26, 9:30 - 11 a.m., Mason Ridge Elementary
North area: May 1, 4:30 - 6 p.m., North High
As always, I welcome your thoughts and appreciate your support.
Dr. Keith Marty