Dual Credit

  • Dual credit programs offer high caliber high school students the opportunity to earn college credits and become familiar with the college experience while still in a high school setting. College credits earned through dual credit programs are widely accepted at Missouri public colleges and universities and many other institutions across the country.

    Dual credit is a way for high school students to earn college credit at the same time they are earning high school credit.

    The high school and college credit are separate from one another, meaning:

    • if a student drops his or her college credit, he or she may still be enrolled in the high school class.
    • the grading systems may be different.
    • the records for the course work are separate
    • the college credit is recorded on a university transcript and the high school credit is on the high school transcript

    The work that the student completes throughout the course contributes to the student's final college grade in the class, which shows on their college transcript. This is why in order for students to transfer their dual credit, they must request a transcript be sent from college they are completing dual credit through to the college they are ultimately attending after high school.

    Top Reasons to enroll in Dual Credit

    1. Save some serious cash on college
    2. Challenge yourself with college-level courses
    3. Learn from master’s-level teachers
    4. Start your college transcript
    5. Earn easily transferable college credit hours
    6. Get a head start of your college career

    Is Dual Credit the Same as AP? 

    We are commonly asked if dual credit courses are the same as Advanced Placement (AP) courses.

    The AP Program is a separate college-level program developed by the College Board organization. This program requires students to take and score above a certain number on examinations to earn credit. As well, the College Board develops their own curriculum through a panel.

    Student/Parent Benefits of Dual Credit and College Board's AP

    Dual credit is a college program in which selected high schools partner with a university to deliver college level courses on high school campuses.

    Students’ grades earned in dual credit courses become part of the their official college record and are transferable to many other two and four year institutions.

    AP is a high school program administered by a national corporation with no connection to any particular college or university. College credit through AP courses depends on the student’s score on a nationally administered examination.

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    What is a credit hour?

    A credit hour is another term for semester hour. Most degrees require a minimum of 120 credit hours to graduate. These credit hours must be completed by taking courses that fall within specific areas of study. These areas of study include the university's general education requirements, the school or college in which the student is enrolled (i.e. the College of Arts & Sciences, etc.), and the specific requirements of the student's area of specialty.

    How many credit hours does a student normally take each semester?
    Typically, dual credit students take between 3 and 6 credit hours per semester because they are also enrolled in other classes at their high schools as well.

    Will my dual credit courses satisfy college requiremnts?
    Most degrees have a 13-hour foreign language requirement. High school students may satisfy their university foreign language requirement through dual credit foreign language course offerings. Dual Credit courses not fulfilling general education goals or foreign language may be used to satisfy graduation electives.

    Do dual credit courses transfer to other colleges or universities?
    The general answer to this question is yes. In fact, the Missouri Department of Higher Education - Dual Credit Policy clearly states that up to five courses shall be assured in transfer to all public institutions and independent/propriety signatory institutions. It is ultimately the student's responsibility to consult with the college/university of their choice regarding the institution's specific course transfer policies.

    What if the college I go to doesn't accept the dual credit courses I have taken?
    We encourage students to consult with the college or university they are planning to attend to determine whether or not a course will be accepted before they register for the course. You will want to know what the institution's transfer policy is so you will be able to select courses that will transfer and meet specific general education requirements. If the college or university you attend does not accept a particular dual credit course, the college will not provide a refund to you for the course.

    Are my dual credit course grades automatically sent to the university I plan to attend?
    No, your high school will forward only your high school transcript. When you enroll in an dual credit course a university transcript is established. Once your final grades are submitted by your high school teacher to the University and are posted to your student record, you must request an official University transcript be sent to your desired university. As a dual credit student, the final grades you earn for your courses become a part of your permanent University record and appear on your transcript.

    What if I do not pass my dual credit course?
    The grade submitted by your teacher at the end of the semester is the grade that will permanently appear on your official University transcript. This grade may be averaged in with other college/university courses to determine your GPA and will stay with you throughout your college career. If you are aware that you will earn a D or an F for your Advanced Credit course, we encourage you to officially drop the course with the University before your teacher assigns final grades and submits them to the University.

    What happens if I miss registration?
    Students may only register when Registration is open. If they miss the deadline to register, they cannot register for courses that semester. It is the high schools' responsibility to communicate the deadlines to students. It is the student's responsibility to meet the deadlines, there are no exceptions.