Please use the link below to access the NCAA Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete:
Students who plan to participate in collegiate athletics at a Division I or II school must take additional steps throughout high school to ensure they are on track to meet eligibility requirements.
Eligibility takes into account standardized test scores, number of core courses taken in high school and the grades earned in those core courses. In addition to NCAA requirements, students must also meet the unique acceptance requirements of the university they plan to attend (those requirements may exceed NCAA standards).
GET IN THE GAME - Brochure
GET IN THE GAME - PowerPoint Presentation
ARE YOU AWARE?
The requirements are changing for students who enroll full time at an NCAA Division I school after August 1, 2016.
Students must graduate high school and meet ALL the following requirements:
- Complete 16 core courses:
- Four years of English
- Three years of math (Algebra 1 or higher)
- Two years of natural/physical science (including one year of lab science if your high school offers it)
- One additional year of English, math or natural/physical science
- Two years of social science
- Four additional years of English, math, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language, comparative religion or philosophy
- Complete 10 core courses, including seven in English, math or natural/physical science, before the seventh semester. Once students begin their seventh semester, they may not repeat or replace any of those 10 courses to improve their core-course GPA.
- Earn at least a 2.3 GPA in their core courses.
- Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score matching their core-course GPA on the Division I sliding scale, which balances their test score and core-course GPA. If students have a low test score, they need a higher core-course GPA to be eligible. If they have a low core-course GPA, they need a higher test score to be eligible. If they have a low core-course GPA, they need a higher test score to be eligible.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- Please review Central High's list of approved courses to ensure you are requesting to enroll in NCAA approved core classes. Approved courses may be found here. Our high school code is 260593. **NOTE** = NCAA does not consider Geometry B an approved core course. Students on this math track must complete a 3rd credit of math at Parkway Central to complete math eligibilty requirements for Div II and must complete a 4th credit of math at Parkway Central to complete math eligibility requirements for Div I.
- Students need to register with the NCAA Clearninghouse after they complete their junior year in high school. You may not have an "official visit" with a college until you have completed your registration with the Clearninghouse. Students may register online at www.eligibilitycenter.org.
- Communicate with adults. Mrs. Prange, your counselor, your high school or select coaches, and Mr. Theobald are valuable resources in the process. The more people who know your intentions, the more successful your path will be.