An Independent Study Course (I.S.) is a course mutually developed and designed by a student and supervising instructor to explore a subject area that is not offered in a course already being taught in Parkway.

    Proposal Process
    If you are interested in exploring the option of taking an independent study course in senior year, you should follow these procedures:

    • discuss the option with your counselor to see if it will be a good fit
    • find a teacher who is certified in the content area and see if they are willing to be your supervising instructor
    • work with the instructor to develop an outline of the topic and objectives to be studied including a timeline and methods of assessment
    • use the link below to submit your application for independent study
    • once the form is submitted, you will be e-mailed a copy of your responses with a signature sheet. Please print the e-mail and obtain all the signatures listed. When complete, return the form to your counselor

    Independent study courses can be requested for 0.5 (one semester) credit or 1.0 (two semesters) credit.

    A standard grading system will be used (i.e. A, B, C, D, F). No "H"'s will be given.

    NCAA Eligibility
    Independent study courses are not approved by NCAA.  If you anticipate playing NCAA Div 1 or 2 athletics in college, you should talk with your counselor about the impact on your eligibility.

    Link to Application: https://tinyurl.com/PKWYindstudy