College Credit Opportunities in High School


    Students at Parkway Central have an opportunity to sign up and pay to take Advanced Placement (AP) exams in May of each school year. Students earn a score (1-5) and may share that score with the college they plan to attend. It is then up to that institution to determine how they interpret and use that credit. Most colleges have a specific score requirements on each specific exam to grant credit or waive course work. If the student meets their minimum requirement, the college may award credit only (no assigned grade) for an equivalent course, or award no credit, but allow the student to move on to the next level. Colleges may also limit the number of credit hours earned to apply towards a specific degree program.  If you navigate to the college website of the school(s) you are interested in, you can do a site search of "AP credit" and the school policy should be available for you to review.  Here are a few examples of popular school choices and their AP credit transfer policies: Mizzou, Wash U, KU, Northwestern



    Many of our courses at PCH offer the opportunity to earn dual credit from UMSL, MO State and MO Baptist. When students take advantage of this opportunity, the grade that they receive at PCH is shared with UMSL and placed on a transcript at UMSL. The transcript will list the grade earned and the corresponding UMSL course title. The students would then share their final UMSL transcript with the college to which they decide to attend. It is up to that institution as to whether they accept the credit and will apply that credit towards their degree/program requirements. The college could choose to grant credit only, use the credit and the grade earned, or not accept the credit at all. Many colleges have a maximum number of credit hours they will transfer towards specific degree programs.

    Central High does not have access to your transcript or records from any affiliated university. Students must contact the university directly regarding any information pertaining to their dual credit (transcripts, GPA, courses taken, etc.). Students are also responsible for determining transferability of their credit earned. Students may check with individual schools or use a website, such as Transferology, to assist with this process.  The University of Connecticut actually created a Credit Transfer Database where you select the state of the college you are considering attending, click on the specific school, and then their credit transfer policy will display.  As the disclaimer on the site shares, "this database is only to be used as a guide and cannot guarantee the success of credit transfer," but it is helpful to at least gain perspective on whether the transfer of credits might be a possibility.  



    Dual enrollment is often confused with Dual Credit (listed above). Dual enrollment, however, indicates that a high school student is enrolled in two different learning institutions – one being their high school, and one being a college. The students utilizing dual enrollment are taking college classes on a college campus. The teacher is a regular faculty member of that college, and the majority of the students in the course are candidates for degrees at that college. More selective universities will not accept dual credit (courses taken on high school campus), but might take a limited number of credits earned through dual enrollment (courses taken on a college campus) during junior or senior year of high school.  Central High has had students participate in dual enrollment at local colleges like STLCC or Maryville