Most Chromebook issues may require you to visit your building's Technology Specialist. However, here are a few things you can try to resolve common issues:
Won't Turn On
Plug in your Chromebook and see if the power light comes on. It should either be White or Amber. If the lights illuminate, let the Chromebook charge for an hour with the lid closed. If the light still remains on after an hour charging but the Chromebook still will not turn on.
1. Hold the Power + Refresh key for 20 to 30 seconds
2. Release the keys
3. Hold the Power key for 3 seconds
This should force reboot the chromebook.
If the light only briefly turns on when plugged in. The battery has completely discharged. To fix this:
1. Make sure the lid is closed
2. Plug in the power until the light goes out
3. Unplug and Replug back in until the light goes out
4. Do this at least six times.
5. On the seventh try holding the power button down just after you plug in the power.
If after trying this it still will not charge. Please contact your buildings TS.
Some Keys Not Working or Type Random Characters
- See if simply restarting the Chromebook resolves the issue.
- Check that the language setting is correct:
- Click the bottom-right corner (by the clock) of the Chromebook.
- Click the "gear" icon and open the Settings page.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Advanced.
- Under "Languages and Input," make sure the language is set to English (United States).
- If the issue is still occuring, try the following steps:
Turn off your Chromebook completely (don't just close the lid).
Hold down the Refresh key and then press and hold the Power button. Hold both down for 10 seconds.
Release the Refresh key and then the Power button and your Chromebook will restart. If it doesn't start, press Power again.
- Test the keyboard again.
Add or Remove the On-Screen Keyboard
Click at the bottom-right corner of the Chromebook's screen (where the clock is). Choose the Accessibility settings. Check (or uncheck) the option for the on-screen keyboard.
Change Screen Resolution
- To make your screen bigger, decrease resolution: Press Ctrl and Shift and Plus.
- To make your screen smaller, increase resolution: Press Ctrl and Shift and Minus.
- Reset resolution: Press Ctrl and Shift and 0.
Make a Page Larger or Smaller
You can make the page you're looking at bigger or smaller, but keep other parts of your screen the same size.
- To make the page bigger: Press Ctrl and Plus.
- To make the page smaller: Press Ctrl and Minus.
- Reset zoom: Press Ctrl and 0
If the Webcam is not working on Zoom, open the Camera App on the Chromebook. To get there, click the All Applications button on the bottom left. Then click on the Camera app.
If the Camera does not turn on, there is hardware problem with the Chromebook. Please see your building's Technology Specialist to troubleshoot or swap Chromebook.
If the Camera does turn on, but not with Zoom, please check the address bar at the very top of the screen. Find the Camera Icon on the right side. If there is a red X over the camera icon, click the icon, then click "Allow." This should turn the Camera on.
Restore Local Data
If your Google password is changed or reset, you may get a prompt on your Chromebook saying "To unlock and restore your local data, please enter your old Chromebook password." If you don’t remember your old password or if it does not work, you can select the "Forgot your old password?" link and then select the "Proceed Anyway" box. You will NOT lose your files; they are stored in your Google Drive -- not on the Chromebook itself.