• Frequently Asked Questions


    When should college applications be started?

    The best time to start college applications is Fall of Senior year.

    • Check your deadlines to see when you need to have your applications and supporting documents submitted. There are no deadlines for applications in August or September.
    • Students have the support of their English teachers, if they need a personal statement/college essay.
    • The information needed about procedures, processes and everything else about applications students need from South High takes place in August and early September. This information, distributed through the Senior Workshop is critical to a smooth application experience.
    • Students will have the assistance, guidance and teamwork from Ms Seuc in the Fall. This is important to presenting the strongest applications to your colleges.

    University of Miami

     What is a "core” GPA?

    A core grade point average (GPA) is calculated differently by different colleges.  Most of the time, it means unweighting the grades and only using the five core subjects to calculate the cumulative core GPA. The five core subjects are: English, Math, Social Students, Science and World Language.  Mizzou, when determining a core GPA uses the above five core subjects, but then added 1.0 credit (two semesters) of fine arts.

    NCAA and NAIA use only the five core subjects, but have a required number from different categories. For more information on NCAA and NAIA core GPA calculations, utilize the resources on college athletics in the Junior area of the Counseling webpages and NCACC and NAIA in the Counseling webpage: https://www.parkwayschools.net/Page/1428


    What is Parkway's grading scale?

    Parkway uses a weighted 4.0 grading scale based on an A-F grades. Each letter grade has a number value: A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, F = 0. If the class is an Honors or Advanced Placement (AP) class a "bump" of 0.5 is added making the letter grade number value: A = 4.5, B = 3.5, C = 2.5, D = 1.5, F = 0. We have an H as a possibility in Honors and AP classes; an H is worth 5.0.

    What is my class rank?

    Parkway, like most high schools private and public in St Louis, does not use a class rank. Parkway has the Latin Honors system: 4.0 and above = Summa Cum Laude, 3.75 - 3.99 = Magna Cum Laude, and 3.5 - 3.74 = Cum Laud  Not using a class rank allows colleges to examine your transcript more thoroughly to give a better view of what you have chosen to take and how well you have done. Your transcript tells more about you than just a class rank number. We want you and your high school academic experience to be considered, but just your numbers.

    CU Boulder winter

    How many activities are the right number for college applications?

    It is not the number of activities that matter, nor is there one activity that is the "right" be a participant. What is important is that your activities demonstrate passion, growth, leadership, or curiosity.  Activities include PSH or outside athletics, clubs, organizations, volunteering, employment, helping at home, community service, shadowing, interning, developing a skill or honing a talent.


    When do I apply for scholarships?

    While there are a few scholarships open to Juniors, most scholarships are for Seniors.  Most scholarship dollars come directly from universities , there are a variety of private scholarship available.  For scholarships offered by a university, the senior must first apply for admission before being allowed to apply for a scholarship or scholarships.  More information can be found at: https://www.parkwayschools.net/Page/1108

    When do I file the FAFSA?

    The Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) is filed the year before you attend college. The FAFSA will open up for you to complete October of your senior year for your first year of college. The FAFSA must be filed for each year in college is you want to be considered for financial aid.  For more information on the FAFSA and financial aid go to: https://www.parkwayschools.net/Page/10995 and https://www.parkwayschools.net/Page/110

    What is the CSS Profile?

    The CSS Profile is an additional financial aid form is required by a few private highly selective universities in addition to the FAFSA. It is used for a more in-depth examination of potential financial aid need in order for the university to offer institution aid, not just federal funding. There is a fee for filing the CSS Profile per college.  You should not file a CSS Profile if your college does not ask for it.

    Duke Arches

    I plan to play college athletics.  If a coach is discussing my joining the team, do I need to do anything else?

    YES!  Unfortunately, there can be miscommunication and misunderstandings about college athletics and college admissions. The two (athletics and admissions) are separate processes.  Even if a coach is talking to you about playing athletics, you must still apply and be accepted to the university. Athletics does not take the place of the application process for admission. The application process takes place senior year and is the same for athletes and non-athletes.

    One other requirement for potential college student athletes planning to play NCAA Division 1 or 2 or NAIA is to register with the appropriate eligibility center at the end of junior year. More information can be found: https://www.parkwayschools.net/Page/1

    BGSU library  

    When should I write my personal statement/college essay?

    While this is something you can start on shortly before senior year, or you can wait until your senior year. The topics can change slightly from year to year.  

    Parkway South High English teachers are a great help and resource to our students who need to provide a personal statement/college essay, as well as any supplemental essays/short answers that some colleges require as part of their application.

    So while you can start on your essay earlier than senior year, understand that the essay is a tool to get to know who you are when you are applying. Sometimes our experiences make us who we are, changing what we would write about. Additional time and learning helps make a better written essay, especially when our College Composition and AP English Literature and Composition teachers use their expertise to teach and assign lessons to support writing the personal statement.

    Other points to know:

    Not all colleges require a personal statement/college essay.

    College admissions that require a personal statement use it to get to know you. The college may change their prompt from year to year. The Common App (used by more then 900 colleges) gives a choice of several prompts that can change from year to year, although always included is a self-directed option.


    When should I ask my teachers for recommendations?

    Senior year.  Not all college applications require teacher recommendations. If you do not need a recommendation, it is better to allow teachers to write for the students' whose applications require a recommendation.  Teachers will be writing the recommendations during the first half of your senior year. It is best to ask them closer to when you are applying. You will learn more about recommendations, how to ask, what you need to provide, how long is a reasonable time to give an recommender to write, etc. at the beginning of senior year.

    Will colleges require an ACT or SAT for the Class of 2022 and 2023?

    It varies from college to college.  

    For the Class of 2021, most colleges, that were not already Test-Optional, decided to be Test-Optional due to the difficulty of being able to take the ACT or SAT related to testing location closures related to the pandemi  Some college have been communicating that they will continue to be test-optional for the Class of 2022, others are Test-Free and still other college require an ACT or SAT score.  Some colleges are Test-Optional, but if the applicatant's GPA is lower than accepted, they may require an SAT or ACT score for acceptance.  

    What is Test-Optional, Test-Blind, and Test-Free?

    Test Optional

    The college is not requiring an ACT or SAT, but will accept a test score if the applicant can and wants to provide an ACT or SAT score. Applicants, if they have a score, can chose to send the score if it strengthens their application, but not to send a score, if they have one, if it does not help their application.  There have been a few exceptions, for example Southeast Missouri State has been test-optional for students with a 2.75 cumulative grade point average (GPA), but required an ACT or SAT if the GPA was lower then a 2.7

    Test-Blind or Test-Free

    Two terms that mean the same thing. The college admissions does not want, does not use, and will not consider an ACT or SAT score. If the student would send a score, it is not looked at and not used. One of the most well-known college networks that is Test-Blind is the University of California campuses.


    If I had a suspension, am I required to report it to the college when applying?

    If a college asks, you do need to report the suspension with an explanation. It would be best to work with Ms Seuc on your response and how you would address the issue.  Usually, if there is a question on an application for the student, the counselor recommendation evaluation form also asks the same question. This is another reason to work closely with Ms Seuc, so she can understand and explain the circumstances.  Not all colleges ask about suspension. If a college does not ask about discipline, you do not have to disclose the incident.


    What is the role of your College & Career counselor?

    To provide up-to-date information, assistance, resources, expertise and personal attention. Ms Seuc stays current by working directly with college admission representatives, attending workshops and webinars, subscribing to higher education publications and with her membership in college admissions related organizations.

    It is to your advantage to begin your work with Ms Seuc junior year to allow her to get to know you, your dreams and post high-school plans. She will answer your individual questions and work with you one-on-one if you utilize her experience. Ms Seuc will also provide information through newsletters, emails, webpages, Naviance, announcements and social media to teach and guide you on your post-high school journey.

    Senior year, you will work with Ms Seuc on your college and scholarship applications. She will continue to be part of your team to advise, educate and provide support through senior year. Ms Seuc will provide information, resources, knowledge, and personalized support though a blend of using the different communication methods and personal meetings.

    Ms Seuc will be administering and organizing the supporting documents for your applications (transcripts, high school profile, secondary school reports, counselor evaluations, counselor recommendation letter, teacher evaluations and recommendation letters and any other needed documents). Ms Seuc will be the counselor to complete your secondary school reports, counselor evaluations and counselor letter of recommendation.