Scholarships and Financial Aid Information
Scholarships are open to all high school students. However, most scholarships are available to seniors in high school. While scholarship applications are available all year round, the "scholarship season", when there are more scholarship applications available and/or due, is November through April. While private scholarships are worth pursuing, more scholarships are given through colleges and universities.
Financial Aid is a term meant to include scholarships, grants, work study and loans. It is money to help pay for education beyond high school. For more information on Financial Aid & Scholarships, use the rest of this webpage and the resources provided.
Here is the video from the Tuesday, September 20th Financial Aid Virtual Program hosted by South High. Financial Aid 101
Scholarship Search Organizations
There are other organizations and websites that work as cleaninghouses for scholarships. You can click on those listed to go directly to their websites. Important note - you should NEVER pay a fee for a scholarship search or application.
- My Scholarship Central (local & regional scholarships) My Scholarship Central is a local/regional scholarship site. While there are fewer scholarships available, the competition is local and regional, not national.
- Fast Web National Scholarship Search Website FastWeb has been a leader in scholarship searches/database for many years. It is a national clearinghouse with a variety of scholarship offerings.
- Collge Board Big Future Scholarship Search College Board Big Future has a scholarship database as well as other financial aid tools like a cost calculator and tips for financial aid.
- Sallie Mae Scholarship Search Website Sallie Mae is a source for information on loans and financial aid, but also has a scholarship search/database.
*It is recommended that students sign up and create a free profile on scholarship sites to help narrow down the scholarships that apply to them
All South High students have a Naviance account. Students can sign into their Naviance account using their Parkway Clever account. In Naviance there is a Scholarships & Money section under the Colleges tab. Scholarships sent to South High are entered into Naviance. There are annual scholarships that are listed and will be updated as the new deadline is announced.
Financial Aid Resources
- Click here for the FAFSA Website
- Click here for FAFSA FAQs
- Click here for the 9/27/2021 Financial Aid Information Night presentation
Resources regarding Financial Aid Topics
Financial Aid: A Brief Tutorial: Click here.
The FAFSA: What is it & How Does it Work? Click here to learn.
Information on Student Loans - click here
Private Scholarships: legitimate or scam? Click here
Understanding Financial Aid Offers: A Guide - Click here
Click here for the FAFSA website
Click here for FSA ID (Needed by student & parent to sign the FAFSA)
FAFSA Q&A - Click here