High School Cabin Leader Information
The Parkway Outdoor School Program utilizes high school students (grades 10-12) to serve as cabin leaders. Cabin leaders have the responsibility of supervising and leading a group of 8-12 sixth-grade students throughout the 4-day/3-night week. SCROLL DOWN TO THE ONLINE APPLICATION LINK BELOW.
Cabin Leader Requirements:
- Must complete all necessary paperwork.
- Online application form
- School dismissal and health forms ( provided by team director)
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Must be a sophomore, junior, or senior.
- Must have approval from the school administrator and/or counselor.
- Must attend required training sessions and meetings.
- Must be in good standing with academics and school conduct.
Cabin Leader Expectations:
- Attend pre-camp training meeting(s) set up by the camp director
- Attend a 4-day session of Outdoor school at Camp Lakewood.
- Supervise and lead a group of 8-10 sixth-grade students during their week at Outdoor School.
- Participate in and lead group activities (when appropriate).
- Be friendly, caring, and a positive influence on sixth-grade students.
Application, Selection, and Training Process:
- Complete the online application (see link below).
- Once the application is submitted, you will be included in a pool of eligible students from your school who can be recruited by the middle school team OS directors. IF YOU ARE BEING CONSIDERED BY A TEAM DIRECTOR, THEY WILL MAKE CONTACT WITH YOU FOR AN INTERVIEW. DIRECTORS ARE ASKED TO MAKE THEIR SELECTIONS BY EARLY SEPTEMBER FOR GROUPS ATTENDING IN THE FALL. CABIN LEADER SELECTIONS FOR SPRING DATES WILL BE IDENTIFIED BY EARLY JANUARY. LATE ADDITIONS, DUE TO STUDENT ILLNESS OR INELIGIBILITY MAY REQUIRE SELECTIONS AFTER THIS DATE.
- If you are selected to be a Cabin Leader for one of the middle school teams, you will be asked to attend after-school meetings to help prep you for your role and responsibilities. Attendance at these meetings is very important.
- Applications submitted after May 1 before the start of the next school year are good for the entire following school year. These applicants are considered Tier I candidates. Applicants who submit paperwork after the start of the following school year will be considered Tier II candidates. Tier II candidates are eligible if there are no Tier I candidates available to attend.
- If you have any difficulty with the application process, please see your School's Outdoor School Liaison.
Application deadline for ALL camps: September 30th, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is Parkway Outdoor School?
A: Parkway Outdoor School is an Environmental, Ecological, and Educational program for sixth-grade students in the Parkway School District. It is more commonly referred to as "camp." The program is a week-long program held at Camp Lakewood near Potosi, Missouri (about 90 miles from St. Louis). Sixth graders participate in various field lessons throughout the week learning in the outdoors about science, local history, teambuilding, outdoor skills, and the environment.
Q: What is a Cabin Leader?
A: A cabin leader is a high school student (sophomore, junior, or senior) who serves as a supervisor and leader of a group of 8-12 sixth-grade students. He/she must possess the mature judgment necessary to safely and promptly escort students around the Camp Lakewood grounds; must be a positive role model at all times, acting in a manner that is consistent with the camp code of conduct; must be patient with others and empathetic to all students; and must be enthusiastic and possess a positive attitude.
Q: What will my responsibilities be as a Cabin Leader?
A: On the first morning of the camp week (typically Tuesday) you will meet at the middle school and ride with the teachers and students to Camp Lakewood on a Parkway bus. You will be assigned to a group of 8-12 sixth-grade students and will help supervise them day and night. Primary responsibility is to help foster the cabin community, encourage group leadership and help develop environmental stewardship. You will be expected to assist with classes, maintain your group's cabin, and actively participate in special events, camp activities, and games.
Q: How do I apply to be a Cabin Leader?
A: The first step to applying is to complete the online application. Candidates will be selected by the directors and contacted for an interview.
Q: What should I do to let someone know I have applied or am interested?
A: Don't call us, we'll call you is our preferred method. School Team Directors will then review the candidates and make their selections. If you are being considered, you will receive a phone call from the school team director. If you have any questions regarding the application and selection process please feel free to call the Parkway Outdoor School Department at 314-415-7034.
APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED ARE GOOD FOR THE ENTIRE NEXT SCHOOL YEAR. SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVOKE ANY APPLICATION IF ACADEMIC STANDING OR SCHOOL CITIZENSHIP BECOMES A CONCERN.
- Must complete all necessary paperwork.