The Parkway Library Program
The Parkway library program has a rich history of leadership in the field and is considered to be a premiere program in the state of Missouri and beyond. As Parkway has changed, so too have the school libraries and the work of the librarian has expanded to meet the needs of building communities. The program’s mission is that of the district as all strive to "ensure all students are capable, curious, caring and confident learners who understand and respond to the challenges of an ever-changing world." This alignment changes the focus of the library program and highlights the work that librarians do to teach students and faculty critical thinking skills, technology integration, research methodologies as well as run the small business that is the library. This work leads those charged with librarianship to be innovative, flexible, and responsive as they support all of Parkway in meeting mission.
Additionally, the Parkway library program has established a vision that includes the place, the program, and the professional. Each librarian is actively engaged with students as they make sense of ideas and information while implementing a responsive district library curriculum, and providing opportunities that support student exploration, learning, and creation while fostering a love of reading.
Parkway librarians strive to accomplish this vision by:
- collaborating with other educators to design and teach engaging learning experiences that meet individual needs and enable students to transfer their learning to new challenges, tasks and situations in and out of school
- providing students multiple avenues for creativity and exploring personal interests
- instructing students and assisting educators in finding, evaluating, using, producing and sharing information and ideas through active use of a broad range of appropriate tools, resources, and information technologies
- maintaining access to materials in all formats, including up-to-date, high-quality and varied literature to develop and strengthen a love of reading
- developing authentic experiences that inspire students and educators to be innovative risk takers