Each summer Parkway circulates new summer reading lists in a brochure format for grades K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and high school. The lists were adopted from ALSC (Association for Library Service to Children), MASL (Missouri Association of School Librarians), and YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Association).The criteria for many of the books on these lists were based on overall appeal, exposure to authors, diversity, genre variety, and relevance. The brochure format creates a manageable list with adequate choice to encourage students to read for fun. Summer reading is a chance for students to learn to read for pleasure. The lists and additional resources can be found below. Also be sure to use the hashtag #parkwayreads to organize social media posts about reading in Parkway.
2018 Summer Reading Lists
by Grade Level
2017 Summer Reading Lists
by Grade Level
Lists for Students
Each year the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) identifies the best of the best in children's books, recordings, and videos.
The Association for Library Service to Children promotes reading and books through recommendations, compilations of lists, and related services.
- 2018 Building STEAM with Día (January 2018)These lists identify promising resources to supplement (S)cience, (T)echnology, (E)ngineering, the (A)rts, and (M)ath programming and that reflect a variety of cultures and languages.
Stories of Immigration: Perspectives from Pura Belpré Medal and Honor Books (September 2017)
As our nation grapples with the uncertain future of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, REFORMA and ALSC’s 2018 Pura Belpré Award Committee has compiled a list of past Belpré medal and honor books that address the Latino/a immigration experience and provide young readers with insight into the very real struggles and choices faced by families every day. This list is presented in solidarity with Dreamers, immigrants, and undocumented people everywhere.
Evergreen Audiobooks (July 2017)
The Quicklists Consulting Committee has developed this list to remind book-lovers that listening to a book can be a great way to enjoy the story and explore new vocabulary.
Comforting Reads for Difficult Times Booklist
This booklist was created to help children going through challenging situations like the death of a loved one, an unexpected move, natural disasters and more.This list was compiled by ALSC's Quicklists Consulting Committee and includes links to other resources for adults to support children.
- Amelia Bloomer Project - An annual booklist of the best feminist books for young readers, ages birth through 18.
- The Booklist Reader - Produced by Booklist Publications, a part of the ALA, it provides lists of books in many genres, and much more.
- Booklist Online - list of awards - This list is a selection of National Book Award and the Booker Prize.
Additonal Book Lists
- The Great American read...100 Books to Explore in the New Program from PBS
- 2018 Diverse Summer Reading List for Grades Pre-K- 8
- 14 Kid-Approved Books for Advanced Fifth and Sixth Grade Readers
- Links to Award Books by State
- School Library Journal Best Books 2017 - From books for kids, tweens, teens, and young adults to adult books for teens, graphic novels, audiobooks, DVDs, apps, and music, School Library Journal has covered the best of everything in 2017
- International Literacy Association - Each year, thousands of children, young adults, and educators around the United States select their favorite recently published books for the Choices reading lists.
Summer Reading Program Resources for Libraries
- 10 Big Ideas for Kicking off Summer Reading with a Bang
- List of Summer Reading Program Promotions
- Camp Readamorra: Summer Reading PD Plans
- Pinterest Summer Reading Ideas & Resources